The King’s Fund – Emerging Board Leaders Programme
Today it’s my pleasure to present the Emerging Board Leaders Programme for The King’s Fund. It’s fascinating to look at how little we all know about the workings of the UK economy and to compare that to our knowledge of the economic workings of our own individual NHS organisations.
The Treasury YouTube channel contains short but fascinating excerpts from speeches, notable figures and research into taxpayer knowledge.
Balance of Payments
The Balance of Payments problem the UK has suffered for many years in shown in the latest Office for National Statistics ONS figures:
Statistical bulletin: Balance of Payments, Q2 2012 pdf
- The United Kingdom’s (UK) current account deficit was £20.8 billion in the second quarter of 2012, up from a revised deficit of £15.4 billion in the previous quarter.
- The trade deficit widened to £10.1 billion in the second quarter of 2012, up from £8.1 billion in the previous quarter.
- The income deficit widened to £5.2 billion, up from £1.9 billion in the first quarter of 2012.
- The financial account recorded net inward investment of £11.1 billion during the second quarter of 2012.
- The international investment position recorded UK net liabilities of £325.8 billion at the end of the second quarter of 2012
Here’s a great YouTube presentation from the ONS which explains the Balance of Payments deficit on the UK’s Current Account:
The Chancellor’s Autumn Statement 2012
Infographic – Protecting the Economy pdf
Infographic – Growth pdf
This short video explains why the Treasury holds a Budget each year. It includes archive footage of six former Chancellors on Budget day:
Budget 2013 – a link to the upcoming Budget
Budget 2012 – a guide to last year’s Budget
OECD Health Report 2012
OECD Health Data 2012
OECD Health Data 2012 – How Does the United Kingdom Compare
Office for National Statistics
Expenditure on Healthcare in the UK, 1997-2010 PDF
Leave a Reply